THE PATTERN AND MECHANISM OF MITOCHONDRIAL TRANSPORT IN AXONS|
Peter J. Hollenbeck
Dept. of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, 220 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA.
Received 05/30/96; Accepted 06/10/96; On-line 07/01/96
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1. Abstract
- 2. Introduction
- 3. Discussion
- 3.1. What is the nature of mitochondrial movement in nerve axons?
- 3.2. What are the possible motors and tracks?
- 3.2.1 Molecular motors for mitochondrial transport
- 3.2.2 Two different cytoskeletal tracks for mitochondrial movement
- 3.3. How is movement regulated to support neuronal homeostasis?
- 3.3.1 The coordination of mitochondrial motility behavior with axonal physiology
- 3.3.2 Potential signals for controlling mitochondrial motility
- 3.4. What is the nature of mitochondrial "docking?"
- 3.5 Summary
- 4. Acknowledgments
- 5. References
- 6. Entire manuscript